Understand how caregivers are screened for safety
Safety is our top priority at Upwards. This page explains background checks specifically for nannies and babysitters on the Upwards platform. For more information about the home daycare licensing process, please reference your state's licensing requirements.
What is a background check?
A background check is an investigative search by a consumer reporting agency (CRA) into a certain person's history. The scope of a background check may include criminal history, driving record, verification of prior employment, and potentially other categories.
What's included in a background check?
- National Criminal Search
- Address History
- SSN Check
- Sex Offender Search
- Global Watchlist Search
What can background checked providers do?
- Send and receive messages to/from families
- Show their profile and listing photos publicly
- Apply to caregiving jobs
- Request bookings from families
- Create community posts and responses
How does Upwards use background checks?
We manually review every candidate whose history reveals information that may disqualify them from providing care. If the results of the background check confirm that a prospective provider does not meet our safety standards, the individual is immediately removed and banned from our platform. We look at a variety of charges when determining eligibility for our platform. Any of the following criminal convictions will disqualify a prospective provider from joining the platform, and will result in a current provider's immediate termination from the platform, including:
- Criminal Intent
- Security Charges
- Theft & Property
- Drugs & Alcohol
- Sexual Charges
- Vehicles & Traffic
- Fraud & Deception
- Statutory Charges
- Violence & Homicide
Can families view the results of a background check?
Families can see when a provider has passed a background check on the individual's listing. In accordance with federal and state privacy laws, Upwards is unable to share specific details from an individual's background check, however we encourage families to select care providers with the Upwards safety badge that signifies they have passed a background check. Families are also welcome and encouraged to conduct additional background checks at their discretion.
How do I know which providers are background checked?
Background checked providers earn their safety badge . This badge appears next to their profile photo and on the provider's listing page.
What additional measures can I take to ensure the safety of my family?
- Verify their experience, education/degrees, and any special certifications
- Ask for reference checks
- Learn about their care style
- Ask about caregiving and disciplining philosophies
When you're ready to begin your childcare search, Upwards provides you with additional tools that help you find the right caregiver:
- Reviews: Read through the reviews of prospective caregivers to get a feel for other families' experiences. Focusing on highly rated providers who receive many positive reviews can help you narrow down your search. Each provider's listing page will show all the reviews they've garnered.
- Messaging: Keeping communication on the Upwards platform helps to ensure the safety of our community. After sending a care request to a background-checked caregiver, families can begin chatting with them to find out more information. Messaging is available on your web dashboard or, more conveniently, through the Upwards app.
Find your childcare provider